Friday, October 25, 2024

Anushka Ranjan reflects on being questioned about her acting career post marriage: “Did I marry a bank?”

Anushka Ranjan has grown weary of sexism infiltrating daily life. The actor voiced her frustration about being repeatedly told to lower her voice, emphasizing that people often attempt to silence those who speak up, especially women.

In an interview with Hindustan Times, Anushka discusses the sexism she has faced, the questions people posed after her marriage to actor Aditya Seal, and her recent fundraiser for BETI.

Talking on the normalization of sexism, Anushka stated, “That is something that needs to change. I have been told so many times that ‘you are too much, and you are going to spoil women don't speak like that’. What is that supposed to mean? Am I spoilt? Am I doing anything wrong? I have made sure to keep my family with self-respect and dignity in place no matter what.”

She added, “People get a little scared about these things. They want to silence anyone who is too loud in a room, especially if it's a woman. I have felt that many times and that bothers me. If a girl has an opinion, it's always taken in multiple ways as opposed to just being like she has a brain. Sometimes, people even go to the extent that, ‘Are you PMS-ing... And I am like, what do you mean?”

The actor believes these are questions women encounter nearly every day and said, “We are trying our level best from our capacity to change this. But it's going to take a collective effort from every woman and man.”

Reflecting on the trivial questions she's faced, Anushka recalls that after marrying actor Aditya Seal in 2021, a director asked her, “Are you still acting?” She responded, “Once after my marriage, a director asked me ‘are you still acting?’ I was like why would I stop earning money and feeding myself? Why would you assume that suddenly I will stop working? Did I marry a bank?”

She added, “These are some silly small things which we deal with in our little way. I don't usually get or be dramatic about certain things. There are bigger problems in the world. We have to pick our battles. And I have chosen to fight, and it is to ensure women's lives around me are in a better position.”

Anushka is dedicated to making a difference in women's lives. Known for her roles in Batti Gul Meter Chalu and Fittrat, she hosted the 18th edition of the BETI Fundraiser Show, founded by her mother, Anu Ranjan. She emphasized that the event aimed to highlight the Kolkata rape case.

“We had the Kolkata rape case in mind. It felt a bit frivolous to host just another event with celebrities. We wanted it to be more than an entertainment show. This year, we encouraged more people to come and speak, to join us, and to be part of this movement that requires everyone's collective effort,” she concluded.

Also Read : Anushka Ranjan to host charity fashion show celebrating everyday heroes through BETI initiative



from Featured Movie News | Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama https://ift.tt/iGCYlyo

No comments:

Post a Comment